Position: Marine Internship Programme 2010/2011 (South Africa)
|Date Posted:||16 August 2010||<< New Search||Apply >>|
|Application Deadline:||01 December 2011|
|Start Date:||20 December 2011||Salary:||See below Euros per annum|
|Duration:||1 To 3 Months||Category:||Other|
|Working Hours:||Not indicated|
|Link to More Info:||http://www.sharkconservancy.org/intern.html|
|Description:||Please do not submit CV's to PiscesTT Jobs, but respond to employer directly, see details below.
Offered at their organisational headquarters in Hermanus, South Africa, the South African Shark Conservancy (SASC) offers experienced biology/ecology students the opportunity to engage in the conservation of marine resources through exciting research and outreach initiatives.
Our research and outreach projects are specifically designed to promote a holistic approach to conservation, working with various fishing sectors, research institutes and governmental organisations.
For prospective interns, your work will focus not just on research, but will also include in-depth exposure to the day-to-day operation and management of a non-profit organisation. The following activities and training are offered:
- Assisting with educational programme delivery for fishers, SCUBA divers, school children and the general public
- Development of educational material
- Assisting with the development and publication of SASCs quarterly newsletter
- Website maintenance
- Awareness-raising and fundraising for SASC
- Tagging and sampling of demersal (bottom-dwelling) shark species, including regional endemics
- Development of educational material
- Manual acoustic tracking of sharks
- Photo identification of sevengill cowsharks
- Dissections of sharks from governmental research surveys
- Observations and data collection for shore-based shark monitoring programme
- Database development and data capture
- Laboratory maintenance, including maintenance of saltwater systems, feeding and care of live sharks, aquaria and touch tanks
- The occasional opportunity to partake in great white shark cage diving activities with some of our partner organisations in Kleinbaai (40 minutes from Hermanus)
- Other tasks which may arise during your internship period
We welcome applications from:
(a) students currently enrolled at an academic institution, studying toward a science major;
(b) graduated scientists with a minimum of a B.Sc. with a science major;
(c) naturalists with proven experience in research, management and/or conservation;
(d) educators with experience in environmental education.
Provisions can also be made for families with children over the age of 13, however you must contact us to make arrangements.
Interns are expected to spend a minimum of one (1) calendar month with the organisation, and are allowed to stay for a maximum of three (3) months. Interns should arrive on the 1st of each month to allow for ease of coordination.
Interns will stay in the picturesque town of Hermanus, situated just 1.5 hours from Cape Town. Interns are expected to make their own travel arrangements from their hometown to the Cape Town International Airport.
For more information, please visit http://www.sharkconservancy.org/intern.html or Contact Us (email@example.com) and download the Internship Application Form.
|Other Requirements:||As a non-profit organisation, SASC does not have the funds to cover running expenses of interns (e.g., food, travel expenses and additional living expenses). These costs must be covered by applicants. SASC requires each applicant to pay 1500 USD per month, which will cover accommodation and local work-related travel. Air travel to and from Cape Town International Airport is not included in this cost.|